Friday 27 May 2011

Day 29: Its A Dream Come True

Today was the big day that we would walk around Uluru. We were doing the base walk of Uluru which is 10km long and very hard. We got up early and went to the resort to get some supplies and stock up. After we'd finished there we went to the gate of the national park. Dad and I wanted to climb Uluru as an achievement, but when we learnt how important it was to the aborigine culture, he told me not to climb it, I was devestated. We started to walk the base walk together, but then I got ahead of mum and dad. When I came to the place were you could climb up it, I was so tempted to climb it and that temptation took the better of me and I started climbing. I was about half way up when my mum and got to the starting point of the climb and they just waited. Also when I was about 3 quarters of the way up I met a guy who helped me get to the top, his name was Glenn. When I go to the top the view was stunning, I got a good view of the Kata Tjuta(the Olgas) and a great view of Uluru's twin, Mt Conner. Glenn and I started to make our way down the slope. When we got to the bottom mum was so proud, I don't know about dad though. We began to continue our walk which another 6km, it was so tiring especially when you've just climbed one of Australia's most famous monuments. When we finished the walk we went to the car and got back on the road to the resort. On our home we came across a couple of German hitch hikers, we don't normally pick up hitch hikers but for some reason we did. Their names were Dirk and Andrew. We found out that they were going to the Olgas the next day, same as us. We also found out that the day after the next day they were going to Kings Canyon, again the same as us(but I really doubted if they would've because they didn't have a car), then they were going to Alice Springs and then were catching the Ghan to Darwin then driving to Cairns then driving down to Sydney to catch a plane back to Germany. They were staying at the resort so we dropped them off and then we did a little bit of shopping before going back home to Curtin Springs, the van , Rosie and a good nights sleep.

Written by Sean Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment